In 2021, we gave all our classes new names, all relating to our wonderful, diverse curriculum. Below is the rationale for each name in each year group:
Year 1: Colours (Art Link)
- Ochre (say ‘oaker’)
Year 2: Aviation Pioneers (History Link)
- Johnson - Amy Johnson was a British woman aviator who was the first woman to fly solo to Australia.
- Wright - Americans Orville and Wilbur Wright (the Wright brothers) made the first controlled flight of a powered, heavier than air aircraft.
- Blériot - Frenchman Louis Blériot made the first powered monoplane and flew it across the Channel.
- Coleman - Bessie Coleman was the first African American woman to gain a pilot’s license.
Year 3: Cities (Geography Link/Consolidation from KS1)
Year 4: Rivers (Geography/History Link)
- Nile (link to the Y4 history topic on Ancient Egypt)
- Amazon (link to the Y4 geography topic on the rainforest)
- Thames (link to Y6 geography topic children will do)
- Tigris (link to Y6 history topic children will do on Early Islamic Civilisation)
Year 5: Greek city-states (Ancient Greece History Topic)
Year 6: Astronomers (History Link)
- Al Biruni (Iranian scholar of the Islamic Golden Age/10th century)
- Copernicus (15th century Polish astronomer and mathematician)
- Galileo (17th century Italian astronomer, physicist and engineer)
- Bell-Burnell (Northern Irish astrophysicist, discovered the first radio pulsars; became president of the Royal Astronomical Society and the Institute of Physics)